Environmental Risk Analysis (ARA)
The Analysis of Environmental Risks must necessarily take into account the possible environmental effects of an eventual accident from the identification of environmental risks and the implementation of associated preventive measures. Thus, the possibility of occurrence is reduced. This technique should be part of environmental management programs, especially for companies that work with contaminating substances or are located in areas where the physical environment can cause accidents.
The results of ARA are used for decision making, by means of comparative risk criteria, to define the risk management strategy and to approve the environmental licensing of an undertaking.
The need to develop a Risk Assessment project for a contaminated area or with a potential risk of contamination is fundamentally related to the following aspects:
- Protection of human health
- Determination of the level of environmental remediation required
- Establishment of remediation goals
- Determination of the technical viability of remediation
- Determination of the benefits associated with the remediation process
- Prioritization of contaminated areas
- Prioritization of resource allocation
- Integrated environmental management
The evaluation of the information obtained in the stages of ARA allows the elaboration of the exposure scenarios where the various possibilities are identified so that the contaminant, from the origin of the contamination, reaches the potentially receiving populations. The results of the evaluation allow the determination of the appropriate response.